Typical Medical Follow up:
It is recommended that effective medical counselling by Dr. Birmingham, MD in follow up include a minimum of twelve half hour sessions to:
- lead the treatment team.
- diagnose and treat the complications of the eating and those that occur in the course of treatment.
- counsel the patient, and significant others understand the cause of their eating disorder, the treatment required, the physical and psychological complications that occur and how these are best treated and by whom.
- counsel the patient regarding the relationship between behaviors, thought processes, and the function of their brain.
- counsel regarding those factors that prevent relapse.
- employ alternative therapies such warming, zinc, and knitting.
- monitor and prescribe medications.
Typical therapy needs for some eating disorders:
It is recommended that clients engage in a minimum of eight sessions to receive the full benefits of therapy. The treatment of eating disorders is based on a multimodal model. This model recognizes that eating disorders do not have a single cause or a predictable course.
Cognitive Behavioural therapy, skill building through Dialectical Behavioural therapy, working on issues of self-esteem, shame resilience and family therapy are all modalities shown to be effective in eating disorder treatment.
- Address co-occurring disorders
- Work on emotion avoidance
- Increase self esteem
- Address underlying personal issues
- Learn how to better cope with anxiety
- Include the practice of mindfulness
- Emotion regulating skills
- Recognize thoughts and urges
- Overcome fear and anxiety
- Increase self-efficiency
- View family as a resource
- Promote healing in the entire family system
Typical Dietetics Consultation and Recommendations:
It is recommended that clients engage in a minimum of eight sessions to receive the full benefits of nutritional therapy to include:
- Initial nutrition assessment
- Anthropometrics data, diet history, and ED symptoms
- Nutrition Knowledge and beliefs
- Assessment of relationship with food
- Teaching intuitive eating skills, debunking nutritional myths, and facilitating a sane approach to achieving a balanced style of eating
- Re-teaching and guiding the application of the basics of appetite regulation, metabolism, and general nutrition principles
- Development of an individualized treatment plans that leverage the latest in evidence-based nutritional intervention
- Personalization of meal planning
- Computerized nutrient analysis-individualized macronutrient and micronutrient needs
- Presentation of macronutrient and micronutrient adequacy based on diet history
- Nutrition Care Plan to include patient-centered goals for therapeutic follow-up
- Ongoing nutritional counselling
- Meal Support: Individualized meal support therapy available and scheduled as needed
Family Therapy Sessions
Emotion Focused Family Therapy for parents:
Summary: 3 sessions, 2 hours each, parent(s) only
Via Skype- skype name Trixie.Hennessey
Vancouver Eating Disorder Clinic offers an intensive three session program for parent(s) and caregivers based on Emotion Focused Family Therapy model with Family Therapist, Trixie Hennessey. Parenting a child (of any age) with an eating disorder can be very challenging and confusing. I can provide you the coaching and guidance you need as you learn how to best support your child through practical strategies and increased personal insight to create a safe recovery environment and help with the prevention of relapse.